WSP forums banner

Home » NFL and other.... » Help Desk » Linux Server
Linux Server [message #3906] Wed, 14 July 2004 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rick51 is currently offline  rick51
Pro Bowler
Theme King
Rebuilding this damn server for the 5th time.

I'm about to throw it out the damn window!!! :twisted:

I would to, if i wasn't actually learning something. Very Happy

T.E.A.M
Teamwork makes the dream work.
Linux Server [message #3907] Wed, 14 July 2004 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DaveQB is currently offline  DaveQB
Hall of Fame

What happened this time ??
Come talk to uncle Dave.. :mrgreen:

New Vegan Australia site
My JeFit Profile

“Somewhere he is out there training while I am not. And when we meet, he will win.” - Tim Tebow
Videos from BYU clinic
Linux Server [message #3908] Wed, 14 July 2004 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pro Bowler
Theme King
I pissed off Redhat, and I've been playing with Fedora Core 2 (has updated kernel etc).

I've tried about 4 varients on partitioning and also what's installed. I've done server, with all the web/mail/sql server stuff, and once (dumb of me) did a full install, about 6 Gigs worth!

Anyhoo, up2date sucks and it kept crashing. So I'm not using that anymore.

This install is just admin tools, server tools and Gnome.

I've downloaded the newest SQL, PHP and Apache tarballs, and I'll compile and add them individually.

I've found this tute that was a really good step-by-step to get all three going in conjunction.
Link

I'll tackle postfix next.

T.E.A.M
Linux Server [message #3911] Wed, 14 July 2004 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hall of Fame

ok, you'll find for maintence that RPM's are much better.

Often install start up scripts etc that compiling from source doesnt.
Plus an RPM you can as root
Quote:

rpm -e <filename>

and its totally uninstalled while compiling its alot harder (in fact i dunno even know how you would)
I only compile XviD etc but not 'bigger' programs

http://www.rpmfind.net and theres one called fresh RPMS not sure of the URL, google it.

New Vegan Australia site
My JeFit Profile

“Somewhere he is out there training while I am not. And when we meet, he will win.” - Tim Tebow
Videos from BYU clinic
Linux Server [message #3920] Wed, 14 July 2004 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pro Bowler
Theme King
I think I was there once, I bookmarked that many pages in the last week, it's all starting to blur.

So you think an uninstall, re-install is better than an upgrade?

T.E.A.M
Linux Server [message #3927] Wed, 14 July 2004 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hall of Fame

there's all different ways of doing it, but to keep things simple and easier to manage i would stick with RPM's wherever possible.

So.... get the latest RPM for whatever ya want. Try installing it and it will probably say a cetain file conflicts with another file from such and such RPM.
rpm -e that package (probably the original install of it) and then rpm -i the new RPM

But honestly, i would stick with what came with the distro (FC2 right?)

i am not sure how FC updates but with Mandrake in the Mandrake Control Centre you can update all software for security or bug fix releases. It uses the URPMI repository you set up ealier.

Not trying to sway you to Mandrake; i got a mate who swears by RH/FC and didnt liek that i went with Mandrake. But ya get that.

New Vegan Australia site
My JeFit Profile

Videos from BYU clinic
Linux Server [message #3929] Wed, 14 July 2004 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pro Bowler
Theme King
Yep, ya do!

I'm gonna stick with it I think, even though I've hit another hurdle.

I was adding the compiler software, and the cdrom wouldn't be recognised no matter what I did, so now when I go to remove it all or update it, it says a package "make" can not be found.

So I manually did an rpm from the cd, but it said it was already installed, so i forced it to install. Still no good.

I can see a rebuild coming on! :roll:

T.E.A.M
Linux Server [message #3934] Wed, 14 July 2004 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hall of Fame

Oh, you didnt install compiling tools like gcc and make?? i am surprised 'make' wasnt an option and just installed.

Not sure with FC but with Mandrake and URPMI you edit, as root, /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg

All your config files (most anyway) are in /etc
My servers /etc is only 5MB coz its all texted files. You've probably noticed that configurating programs is done by editing config text files and not through a GUI interface generally.

So find the config file for your package manger and edit that to where your cd-rom drive is (dunno how it got messed up there)

-------------In case ya didnt know --------------

The CD-rom drive will be just like a disk is refered to (in kernel 2.6 up, 2.4 .... another story)
Eg if you had the HDD in Primary Master and the optical drive in Primary slave then they would be

HDD = /dev/hda
CD = /dev/hdb

or if they were in the same order but on the second channel they would be

HDD = /dev/hdc
CD = /dev/hdd

Make sense ??

New Vegan Australia site
My JeFit Profile

Videos from BYU clinic
Linux Server [message #3935] Wed, 14 July 2004 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pro Bowler
Theme King
Yep it does. Cool.

I've been going to /mnt/cd to get to the cd via console.

So I guess that is another way.

But generally just using Nautilus to get around gnome.

Up to my last disk on the rebuild. Selected programming tools this time. :roll:

T.E.A.M
Linux Server [message #3939] Wed, 14 July 2004 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hall of Fame

yeah ok, thats where it was mounted.

Run
mount

it lists whats mounted and where.

you'll see something like this

/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2 on / type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
none on /dev type devfs (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620)
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part7 on /home type ext3 (rw)
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part8 on /home/david/storage type ext3 (rw)
none on /mnt/cdrom type supermount (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850)
none on /mnt/floppy type supermount (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,sync,dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,codepage=850)
none on /mnt/removable type supermount (rw,dev=/dev/scsi/host6/bus0/target0/lun0/part1,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0)
none on /mnt/usb type supermount (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,dev=/dev/sda1,fs=ntfs:vfat,--,umask=0)
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part5 on /usr type ext3 (rw)
none on /mnt/removable2 type supermount (rw,dev=/dev/scsi/host3/bus0/target0/lun0/part1,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
//SALES/Documents on /home/david/mnt/SALES/Documents type smbfs (0)
//SALES/C on /home/david/mnt/SALES/C type smbfs (0)
//NODE2/C on /home/david/mnt/NODE2/C type smbfs (0)

from that you can see where your optioal drives or even USB drives have been mounted to.
You can see my CD-rom is at /dev/hdc and mount as a supermount to /mnt/cdrom

making any sense ?? Very Happy

New Vegan Australia site
My JeFit Profile

Videos from BYU clinic
Linux Server [message #3941] Wed, 14 July 2004 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pro Bowler
Theme King
Yep, very much so.

Well here we go again. Just finished the rebuild and I'm on to installing mySQL, PHP and Apache.

This is so frustrating. Been on it a week and gotten nowhere.

I've built a whole windows domain in quicker time. Crying or Very Sad

T.E.A.M
Linux Server [message #3943] Wed, 14 July 2004 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hall of Fame

Yeah ya not used to it. Probably an idea to use Linux as a Desktop before venturing into the server world. Thats what i learnt (the hard way) Very Happy

you didnt install those packages during the system install??

I had Mandrake up and as a Webserver and FTP in a jiffy, it was all done upon system install completion.
The rest werent that hard either; its the configuring to what you want thats the hardest at first.

New Vegan Australia site
My JeFit Profile

Videos from BYU clinic
Linux Server [message #3944] Wed, 14 July 2004 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hall of Fame

rick51

I've built a whole windows domain in quicker time. Crying or Very Sad

an unwanted guests were into it probing around in as much time, right ?? Laughing

New Vegan Australia site
My JeFit Profile

Videos from BYU clinic
Linux Server [message #3945] Wed, 14 July 2004 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pro Bowler
Theme King
Yeah I did orignally, but didn't know how to configure them to get them working. In fact I didn't even know if they were working at all, configured or not.

I know how to check services, ie httpd and mysql, but I'm still learning where to go from there.

But the tute i was talking about showed which files to edit etc., so it's good for me.

I dabbled a bit in workstation, had it on my laptop for a while, just to see what it would do. Work file on our network here, internet, print file sharing etc.

So I bit the bullet and wanted to try this.

I could have saved my self the headache. Very Happy

T.E.A.M
Linux Server [message #3947] Wed, 14 July 2004 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Hall of Fame

ok, maybe try Webmin

It should be an option to install, if not the RPM shouldnt be hard to find.

Its a web front end that allows you to configure everythign on the system. It got me past a spot i was stuck on for months way back in the day.

Apache config file = /etc/httpd.conf
Proftpd = /etc/proftpd.conf
Postfix = /etc/postfix/main.cf

MySQL you access it using
mysql and mysqladmin to log in and create, delete move tables cells etc etc
Yuo dont have to mess directly with Databases much, most php apps do that for you in the setup.

New Vegan Australia site
My JeFit Profile

Videos from BYU clinic
Previous Topic: EMAIL VIRUS WARNING
Next Topic: Helpful Programs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Sep 15 18:27:10 GMT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00693 seconds