WSP forums banner

Home » NFL and other.... » Help Desk » FIREWALL
FIREWALL [message #3517] Tue, 06 July 2004 04:32 Go to next message
truck is currently offline  truck
Pro Bowler
Can anyone recommend a reasonable and cheap (or $0) firewall to keep thieving hacking bastards out of my computer??

Question Question

Truck #75

Once silver & black - will always be ...
FIREWALL [message #3518] Tue, 06 July 2004 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous Coward
Software or Hardware????
FIREWALL [message #3519] Tue, 06 July 2004 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pro Bowler
Sorry I did not know there was a difference?!?!?

I had a backdoor.trojan virus last week and want to protect against that and others.

I now do a daily system check via Norton.

Truck #75

FIREWALL [message #3520] Tue, 06 July 2004 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous Coward
I recommend Kerio
FIREWALL [message #3521] Tue, 06 July 2004 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pro Bowler
Thanks - I have downloaded it.

Truck #75

FIREWALL [message #3523] Tue, 06 July 2004 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wes Folitarik is currently offline  Wes Folitarik
Pro Bowler
Norton is only a stop gap measure for viruses downloaded either directly oe by e-mails. Cannot prevent hackers sticking beaking or using you PC to lauch other attacks.

Generally software firewalls are not perfect but reputable products should be good for your personal home use where you intend your computer to be multi-use. Will provide a decent level of deterent.

A hardware firewall via a dedicated PC is optimum but probably not what you are after.

Try the link provided by king BRYAN, I have not used it myself. Otherwise, myself or Dave and some other guys could easily swing you a program if required.

Disclaimer: Although all care taken to ensure the accuracy of this advice, I am an IT boob and should not be consulted for any information on this matter. In fact, I know nothing very little about alot of things. The onus is on the reader to seek qualified advice and take into consideration anything said here at your own risk.

Wesley Folitarik
President
West Sydney Pirates Inc
info@wspirates.com
FIREWALL [message #3524] Tue, 06 July 2004 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pro Bowler
Bryan

Is there a similar hardware firewall??

Question Question

Truck #75

FIREWALL [message #3531] Tue, 06 July 2004 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DaveQB is currently offline  DaveQB
Hall of Fame

Yeah i have alot of good things bout Kerio, but never used it myself.

All i have had experience with is XP's built in one and IPTABLES which is built into the Linux kernel. Both servered there purpose and easily configurable.

Use XP's or if you have an ancient Windows OS go Kerio like Bryan said.

A hardware firewall means just that, its a hardware device dedicated to being a firewall. Things like routers have firewalls built into them. Not worth $100+ for hardware firewall for your needs Darrin.

New Vegan Australia site
My JeFit Profile

“Somewhere he is out there training while I am not. And when we meet, he will win.” - Tim Tebow
Videos from BYU clinic
FIREWALL [message #3537] Tue, 06 July 2004 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous Coward
What Wes wrote is spot on.

I've been using Kerio for a while now and its been great not one problem.

So i'd say just use kerio as like Dave said it fits your needs

Though if you have the money hardware firewalls are incredibly secure so its always nice to have one as your gateway.
FIREWALL [message #3541] Tue, 06 July 2004 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rick51 is currently offline  rick51
Pro Bowler
Theme King
Truck, what we talked about last night

Spybot Search and Destory

Windows Update

Also, I've been using Zone Alarm for a while now too. But I guess it comes down to personal preference really.

Also with the software firewall, updates etc are usually online and automatic, so you're always up to date with new stuff. (big advantage)

T.E.A.M
Teamwork makes the dream work.
FIREWALL [message #3545] Wed, 07 July 2004 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous Coward
You should install pest-patrol and add the Spy-bot s&d host file if your using IE.

I've used Zone Alarm before and imo kerio is the better one and it uses less resources to.

If you want I can upload pest-patrol and the latest version of kerio or zone alarm .
FIREWALL [message #3547] Wed, 07 July 2004 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pro Bowler
Thanks guys - this has all been a big help and an eye opener.

I have gone to the windows update and after a scan it tells me i need 21 updates but when i click "INSTALL NOW" nothing happens. There is no influx of data. I can see that from the Kerio IN/OUT graph.

Do I need both the Zone alarm and the Kerio?? Or is is better to have both??

Exclamation Question Exclamation

Truck #75

FIREWALL [message #3551] Wed, 07 July 2004 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rick51 is currently offline  rick51
Pro Bowler
Theme King
One is enough Truck. It should do everything you need. ie one or the other.

Windows Update is really picky about when it sends and what it receives.

I suggest running the spybot, cleaning your system, and then disable the firewall while you update from windows. (fairly safe, safer after you spybot)

Windows update listens to transmissions that the firewall can block.

If you're running Internet Explorer 5.5 or below (whilest in IE click Help>about) i suggest you update to 6.1 SP1. HERE

Then try windows update again.

T.E.A.M
Teamwork makes the dream work.
FIREWALL [message #3561] Wed, 07 July 2004 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous Coward
truck

I have gone to the windows update and after a scan it tells me i need 21 updates but when i click "INSTALL NOW" nothing happens. There is no influx of data. I can see that from the Kerio IN/OUT graph.

If you've done what rick51 said and your still having problems you might have BHO's that are phucking it up so scan your pc with HijackThis and post a pic of the results.
FIREWALL [message #3578] Wed, 07 July 2004 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Pro Bowler
Thanks guys it has worked when I zapped the firewall for a while.

Thanks again for all your help.

Wink Wink

Truck #75

Previous Topic: cheap help needed
Next Topic: EMAIL VIRUS WARNING
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 25 10:26:10 GMT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00822 seconds